On Monday, December 13, 2010, we go live with our new Koha catalog. Cathi, our IT Specialist, is putting in all sorts of extra hours trying to resolve problems with our vendor, ByWater Solutions. It is nothing to receive an email from her at 2:30 am! I think she is eating, drinking, sleeping and dreaming Koha!
I have been on vacation for the past few weeks and was surprised with all that has been accomplished in my absence. With the help of the Koha Task Force, our new OPAC has been designed, a new name for our catalog has been chosen, and a new logo developed.
Staff has worked on a list of talking points so that we can present a positive position to our patrons:
Why We Like The New Library Catalog!
• It’s simple! The new catalog offers simplified searching. Misspelled or mistyped words won’t end your search!
• You can suggest new titles for the Library to purchase right from the Catalog.
• You can add items to a personal, private list. This could be used for keeping track of books you’ve read or want to read.
• You can place your own comments or reviews for items in the Catalog.
• You can add tags (personally meaningful terms) to items in the Catalog.
• You can set up an RSS feed and be notified when new items are available by authors or about subjects you select.
• You can place requests on different items at one time without having to retype your Library card number!
• You can receive notices by e-mail and decide for yourself when you want to receive them!
• Book reviews are available right from the Catalog.
• You can browse the shelf virtually by looking for other books in the same area.
• It features book lists including new books for adult, teen and children, DVDs and Best Sellers.