We were pleased that our new Koha project was passed by the City Council. This gave us the funds needed for a new server, the consultant's maintenance charge, and training on the new system.
Once July came we were all ready to start... we had the funds, the energy, and enthusiasm. We had discussed the needed server requirements with ByWater Solutions and then we asked our City IT staff to purchase one for us.
The requirements were:
- A Linux server: Debian is what most people use.
- Root on the server
- A reasonable level of comfort with the command line
- Database administration skills
This photo shows all five of our servers. Our new server is the third black box on the left on the lowest shelf. Cathi's workstation is on the other side of the room.
We received our new server this week from Dell. This included:
- PowerEdge T310 Chassis w/ up to 4 Hot-Plug Hard Drives & LCD Diagnostics
- 4GB Memory (2x2GB) 1333MHz Dual Ranked RDIMM, Memory for 1CPU Platform
- X3470 Xeon Processor, 2.93 GHz8M Cache, Turbo,HT PowerEdge T310
- HD Multi-Select
- No Operating System
- On-Board Dual Gigabit Network Adapter
- iDRAC6 Enterprise
- 16X DVD-ROM, SATA, Internal
- 146 GB 15K RPM Serial-Attach SCSI 3Gbps 3.5 Hotplug Hard Drive
- RAID 5 - Add-in PERC6i/H700 , 3-4 Hot Plug Hard Drives
- Power Supply- Redundant, 400W
Of course, various cables, monitor, and keyboard were included. Now we need the software. We will be working with ByWater Solutions staff on this.